Monday, June 16, 2014

The Denim Quilts

My mother kept the jeans my brothers outgrew in their teen years. She had planned to do something with them but never did.  I brought home a huge plastic bin of them, washed them and cut them apart. 

There they sat for a year or so.  

One day I came across a pattern for a denim quilt and decided I would make one for both of my brothers for Christmas 2007. 


Quilt #1


Quilt #2


I didn't have enough light denim, so I added some I found at the local fabric store.  There is a purchased piece of dark denim on the back (that I got for $1/yard!  I wish I had bought more).  I placed the top and back right sides together with batting on top, sewed around the edges and turned it right-side out.  I used yarn to tie these quilts.

The pattern is "Down-Home Denim Comforter" appearing in the Winter 1994 issue of Country Handcrafts magazine.  The quilt in the magazine was five blocks wide by seven blocks down;  I made mine smaller at four blocks across and five blocks down.


No comments:

Post a Comment