Saturday, November 22, 2014

'SPLIT DECISION'


Even though I really like batiks, I don't use them often in my quilts. Awhile back, I found a quilt online done in batiks ('Split Decision', The Teacher's Pet by Dierdre K. Brown), and it looked easy enough for me to do.  It was done with a 'Butterscotch' Bali Pop, so that is what I wanted to use also.  I don't recall the name of the online shop, but I do know that they have since gone out of business.  (Their photo had a cute cat sitting on a corner of the quilt.  When I was getting ready to take this picture, one of our cats thought he would check it out--but he left before I got the camera ready.  Quilts on the floor sure are cat magnets!)


I started this one in 2011, finished the top in early 2012, and it was quilted and bound by October 2012.  I used the one leftover block on the back, and apparently I forgot to make a label for this one.  


The quilt measures about 56"x72".  I'm pretty sure I used Warm & Natural batting as that's what I use most of the timeSee that white thing in the upper right corner?  That's what happens when your batting sticks out so far that it gets sewn to the backing!  Not my first 'oops' moment, that's for sure.  I used a marking pen to mark a flower on each block and worked on my free-motion skills.  This was one of my early attempts at free motion quilting, so the flowers are definitely not perfect or even close.  But if you stand back (way back) and squint your eyes, it doesn't look that bad!  My mother tells me that Grandpa used to say 'no one would notice from a speeding car'--ha!  The important thing is that the quilt is finished and being used.  

This quilt currently sits on the back of a chair in the living room.


1 comment:

  1. I like this split decision quilt-and you're right...this fabric is great for it!

    ReplyDelete