Monday, July 21, 2014

Sudoku Quilt

My husband really likes sudoku puzzles, so when I saw a pattern for a sudoku quilt, I really wanted to make one.  The pattern is called "Quilter's Sudoku" and says "Quick Quilts" on the bottom (I'm pretty sure it came in the mail with a magazine invoice).



I chose nine colors, assigned each a number from 1-9 and cut nine squares of each one.  Then my husband had to solve the sudoku puzzle on the pattern.  From there it was very easy to assemble, making nine different nine-patches and sashing them with very thin strips of black.  I just stitched in the ditch to quilt this.  I used a white batting, and there was a lot of bearding happening (which was very noticeable on the black backing!).  Next time I'd use black batting, but I didn't really know there was such a thing at the time.  

I like to spend a little extra time if I can and use leftover fabrics (or a block) on the back like this:


Sorry for the lousy picture--it had been folded in the cabinet right before this photo.

I have been labeling my quilts and made sort of a 'key' to the puzzle on this one:  colors 1-9 left to right, top to bottom.  

I made this quilt in 2011.  It measures about 39" square.  It currently hangs on the living room wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment